2018 Nucs for Sale
For 2018, I will have several kinds of nucs available, each consisting of five medium depth frames of adult bees, including three frames of brood of varied ages (all of which are offspring of your queen), as well as pollen and honey. You will take the nuc home in a waxed cardboard nuc box ($10 deposit), from which you can transfer it to an eight or ten frame medium depth box.
- Sold out Overwintered nucs containing a locally raised (PA) 2017 queen, brood, pollen and honey. By definition “survivor” since it will have come through the 2017-2018 winter in PA, the five frame medium nuc has a queen raised from my local survivor stock, the queen mother having survived one to four years in SE PA.
These nucs are more expensive due to my work caring for them in late Summer, Fall and Winter. They will be available as soon as brood rearing is well underway and populations are increasing in spring, which is weather dependent. These will be the earliest nucs I have available, likely the end of March at about the same time that packages are available. However, in contrast to that of a package, the population of a nuc will rapidly increase, whereas the population of a package decreases for the first 4 weeks. Over wintered nuc $350 each.
- Sold out. Nucs with 2017 queens from Joseph Redensky (South Florida Bees N Honey, Inc), Boca Raton, FL. Five frame medium nucs with Italian queens purchased from South Florida Bees N Honey, Inc. Because these queens were mated last November in FL, Mr. Redensky states that they tend to be better mated than queens raised in early spring when drones may not be in plentiful supply. Three frames of her brood, as well as frames of nectar and pollen. Likely availability is mid April. $155
- Sold out. Nucs with 2018 queens raised from VSH Breeder queens from VP Queens, daughters raised in Philadelphia, Mississippi. Five frame medium nucs with queens raised from VP Queens VSH breeders, daughters raised by Johnny Thompson of Broke-T Honey (https://www.facebook.com/BrokeTHoney/). Three frames of her brood, as well as frames of nectar and pollen. Likely availability is early May. $155
- Sold out. Nucs with 2018 New World Carniolan queens from Northern California. Five frame medium nucs with New World Carniolan queens purchased from Strachen Apiaries (http://strachanbees.com/). To learn more about Valeri Strachen and New World Carniolans, see http://www.beeculture.com/interview-valeri-strachan/ Three frames of your queen’s brood, as well as nectar and pollen. Likely availability is mid-May. $155 each.
- Nucs with locally raised 2018 queens bred from local survivor mothers. Queen mothers may be of Italian, Carni, VSH or other desirable stock; all queen mothers have survived one to multiple winters here in SE PA. Five frames of bees, three frames of your queen’s brood, as well as nectar and pollen. Likely availability is June-July. $155 each.
See the following sites for a discussion of the pros and cons of starting a colony with a nuc vs a package:
I am PA licensed (C2017-149, through August 28, 2018) to sell Queens and Nucleus colonies. As part of this program, my queen rearing apiaries are inspected by the PA Department of Agriculture twice a year, typically at the beginning and end of the active beekeeping season. I use no antibiotics in my beekeeping operations.
To get on the nuc list, go to my web site: https://vincemasterbeekeeper.com/contact/
I do not take advance deposits, as I cannot guarantee availability in advance. Requests are honored on a first come, first served basis. Thank you for your interest!
Screened bottom boards increase ventilation and may help with Varroa mite control. Brand new. Email email@example.com or contact via “contact” tab on this web site.$16 each.Follow @vincemasterbee